Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mimi Kamp

Gnarly, right? Such a cool Saguaro.


We had a field trip on Thursday (3/10/2011) in my Western Herbalism- Herbal Flowers class. Before I go any further, I just have to say, without any doubt, my school is the coolest, most amazing educational facility on this Earth. There, I said it. I dare you to dispute me on this. 
White Tanks Recreational Park
My field trip led us to the White Tanks Mountain Reserve in West Phoenix where we took a nature walk with a woman who looked as if she was a part of the desert herself. With a delicate voice, weathered by years of life in the wild, she explained to us that collecting flower essences were more than just a walk in a park, but a deep rooted connection to the Earth and her creatures. Mimi spoke to us about positive intention and allowing nature to guide you to your answers. She wanted, more than anything, for us all to slow down in our daily lives and listen to what Mother Earth has to tell us. And, man, did She have a lot to say that day. Once our small lecture was over with Mimi we were encouraged to clear our minds and hearts and set out into the park with a set intent. 


My class field trips rock.
After centering myself, calming my mind and opening my heart, I allowed my intention to be "I to meet a plant who wants to play with me..." I didn't know what this would look like and I wasn't meant to. I simply started walking. I took off my sunglasses so that I could see through my real eyes, and I began to look around. I kept walking, away from most of my classmates (as we all had scattered throughout the thick of the desert off the beaten path), I passed a woman on a beautiful horse coming down the path, and a thought entered my mind... "I want shade." It was pretty warm that morning and we all had just stood in the sun for about an hour and a half, so shade really was a good idea. I began searching for shade and when I glanced left I found something worth investigating, hoping the tree gave out enough leaves to block some of the sun. 
Flowers making an essence.
I walked down a small hill, through a wash, up an incline, and came to a low tree (Foothill Palo Verde) surrounded by Buckhorn Cholla, Fiddlesticks, Blue Phacelia and white flowers, and a few other cactus specimens.  There was a nice flat rock nearby that acted as a perfect seat in the shade, so I sat down and began to look around closer. I felt drawn to the purpler, white, and yellow flowers, all scattered around me, but unassuming unless you were looking for them to be there. I decided to ask the flowers if they would allow me to use some of them to create a flower essence. They agreed and I picked a few, gently, and placed them in my small mason jar of water that Mimi had provided earlier. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to be still for a little while, listening to the birds and the bugs, the wind and the leaves. When I felt the time was right I opened my eyes and began taking notes on the things I was observing around the flowers and what feelings I was getting from them. These are my notes:
In the grass, if you look closely, you can see the tiny white flowers.
  • Tiny purple (periwinkle in color), orange/yellow, white flowers
  • White flowers cover the ground wherever there is open space.
  • Orange and purple stay nearby areas where they will receive shade.
  • Purple is so curious. Seems out of place, color sticks out. Don't notice it until you look closer at the other flowers.
  • Orange is "furry" and bright. Eye catching. "Look at me!"
  • Purple's leaves are round and gentle, soft, lobes.
  • Orange's leaves are straight, to the point, furry.
  • Orange's buds are grouped on a thick stem. 
  • Purple's buds are singular, thick stem.
  • White is more grass-like, blends in with grass, tiny, thin stem.
  • White: Fearless, stubborn, grounding. Invisible unless sought after. Quiet. Delicate. Independent. (Short)
  • Orange: Hello! Vibrant energy. "Look at me!" Inviting. Sweet. Friendship (Tall)
  • Purple: Shy. Lots of leaves, spreads, few flowers. Subdued color. Shimmery petals. Blooms around orange. (Leans)
Purple with the Yellow.

Ugh. Please excuse the blur.
There was nothing I could do to get it to focus... that's how tiny they were.

Fiddleneck. No really, that's its name. Wonderful flower.
Please note the awesome blue spider to the right.
I had no idea he was spending the afternoon with me.
(Thankfully).
My summary of these flowers was that they grew together and went well together. Each held a personality trait like that of an individual in a group of friends. For that reason I felt most certain that these three flowers, combined in an essence, would be great for helping in the encouragement of friendships.
Thee White Tanks, perhaps?
After meditating and taking photos, I sealed up my jar and walked back to the group. We debriefed for a little while, shared our experiences, and then thanked the desert for allowing us to explore it. A quick drive home and I was ready for a shower, a nap, and a second class later that day.
Teddy bear Cholla. What do you think of when you see these beauties?
What words come to mind?
This experience was moving and peaceful. My feet are most definitely wet - I'm ready for my next adventure and hike around the desert. I wonder what else I will find.
Isn't her radiance beautiful?!


Flower Power,
~Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment