Thursday, December 16, 2010

SWIHA

Well... it's official. After long deliberation between Beau and I about finances and practical use, I have done it. As of January 31, 2011 I will be beginning my journey into the holistic health world. This has been a long time coming and I can't express in words how excited I am to be starting, finally starting this adventure. The more my spirituality grew these last few years the more I became interested in the human body and its incredible power of self-healing. The more I became interested in healing the more I wanted to find out how to do it naturally instead of injecting myself or my family with manufactured medicines that seem to be more concerned with making money than healing the individual. I have learned that in conventional medicine the medications we are taking for diabetes, weight loss, depression, etc. at there best are only good for making the symptoms of the illness go away (they do not cure) while at their worst they cause a list of side effects too many to list (hair loss, heart attack or stroke, inflamed joints, diarrhea, nausea, etc.). Before I woke up to an alternative I thought this was it. This is what we have to work with- take it or leave it. Get your flu shots, your H1N1, your blah blah blah. Boy was I wrong! There is so much out there beyond what we are fed through the media and society. There are alternatives and they work! Not only do they work, but they can cure! Cure! What a thought. Curing an illness. Healing the individual. I love holistic health because it focusing on the entire person. Curing the illness has much to do with healing the person as a whole- mind, body, and spirit. If you feel good emotional you will feel better physically. It is all connected. Now, before I get ahead of myself, I want to make it clear that I am amazed by modern medicine and medical technology. If I woke up one morning and my arm was on the left side of the room and my body was on the right, I most certainly would consult my nearest surgeon. There are some things that only modern medicine can tend to. For everything else, I am here to learn and apply.

School:
I have searched and searched and searched for a school in the United States (online or local) that would provide me with what I am searching for. I found many schools that, while having the most incredible school programs, were just as expensive as medical school. I found others that were a joke in every sense of the word. And I found others that were so cheap it made you wonder how it could be legitimate. Then I came across a school out of Oregon that was online as well as an open school to those in the area. They had a wonderful Apothecary Shoppe, lavender gardens, and herbs galore! The only problem with this school was that they didn't accept financial aide which left me at a loss. I don't have an extra $600 a month to pay for this program. So my search continued.
I had heard of a facility nearby, SouthWest Institute of Healing Arts (SWIHA), where I live that was involved in holistic health and spirituality. They provided programs for Reiki, spa management, massage therapy, toe reading, and holistic practitioner's degrees. I was given mixed reviews of the place, but decided to check it out online to see for my self. The website is new-agey and is pretty straight forward. I looked over their degree programs and my jaw dropped. I found something perfect for me! A degree as a Holistic Practitioner with an emphasis in Western Herbalism and Holistic Nutrition. What was better yet, they accepted financial aide, their program is 24 months long (no breaks), and they help you start your own practice or connect you with a practice you can join! Where do I sign up!? I scheduled a meeting with an advisor, got some information, and took it home to digest it. About a month later I switched my Financial Aide to SWIHA and scheduled another advisement appointment. Yesterday, at 10:45AM, I was an official student, school ID and all! An advisor will set up all of my classes for the next two years and all I have to do is show up! I'm covered in tuition and extra supplies that I will need. I can't wait for classes to start! The closest one that would fit in my schedule was January 31st which occurs every Monday afternoon until April 18th! I am starting with Nutrition - Holistic Foundations I. EEP! My schedule will fill up between then and I will be taking multiple classes until I graduate!

Classes:
This is a 60 credit program with a total of 1,011 hours of coursework. There are a ton of classes I am excited to take, such as:
All of the Western Herbalism Courses (Sowing, Germination, Growth, Harvest, etc)
Physiology
Pathology
Botany (can't wait!!)
Herbal Specialties for Women and Children; Babies and Children
The Green Man (Herbal remedies and care for Men)
The Herbal Goddess (Herbal remedies and care for Women and pregnancy)
Western Herbalism- Manufacturing
All of the Nutrition Courses (Therapies, Foundations, Weight Management, etc)

These are only a sample of the classes I will be taking.

My Intent:
What do I plan on doing with this degree? Help people, of course. This information is free- you can find it on the Internet. The problem is, you can't tell if what you are reading is factual or practical. Does this really work? Not only that, but there is some specialization to the information. Knowing the proper doses for essential oils, knowing who can and can not benefit from a certain practice- it makes a difference. My intent is not to make money off of this degree. Make a living, yes, but live lavishly? No thanks. Having the knowledge to heal yourself and take the preventative measures necessary to avoid illness is so powerful! That's control and power at its purest- knowledge. I want to be a vessel. A resource. I want to help people become healthier through lifestyle changes and self awareness. I will likely be a House-Call practitioner. Coming to those who need me, keeping things intimate and personal; less clinical and cold. My goal is to have a small office in my garden in the backyard of our house to see clients in. We can walk the garden while we talk, I can have workshops with clients to help them start their own gardens, and we can sip tea at the table amongst the flowers. Warm and welcoming, calm and relaxing. To supplement this practice I also will be starting an online business that is more like an online Country Corner Store. You'll be able to purchase canned foods, bread mixes, and household goods. There will also be an area with a holistic focus- bath salts, sugar scrubs, organic homemade soaps and cleaning products, essential oils, homeopathic remedies, etc. I will likely put an "Ask Birdie" option on there so that I can try and help people at a distance with any needs they may have.

I think, most importantly, regarding this degree I plan on helping my family. Beau and I need to continue to make healthier lifestyle changes and moving toward our health's fullest potential. By doing this we will be laying down the path for our children to live healthy and take that on with them as adults.

I will be posting many more updates regarding my journey to keep the world updated on my progress, but also to spread the knowledge I have learned thus far.

Knowledge is Power (Yup),
~Birdie

9 comments:

  1. snooping through your blog and quite excited about this post! my husband has been thinking about going back to school and this is his school of choice- not sure how we can pull off a stay at home mom with a dad in school... but I think we're going to try it eventually. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school is a different kind of layout that typical- you take multiple classes throughout the "semester" - classes that will be two-six weeks long depending on the particular course. They accept FAFSA and Pell grants which is awesome and very helpful. The school environment is very welcoming and warm. They have online courses which may help your husband be able to work and go to school and still have time to be with the family. It could be worth checking into for him. It's very exciting! I cannot wait! You guys should go to one of their first Friday open houses they do every month. It would be a great opportunity for him to ask questions and see the school. :) Thanks for the luck! I am looking forward to it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello..........Seems that the posts are a little dated, 2011 being two yrs ago! Wow! Did you finish the courses at SWIHA ? I am considering going there to get some documentation for hypnotherapy work, which I already do.
    I'd love your input. Having your office in your garden! What a great idea!

    Kevin
    Prescott

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, have heard mixed reviews of this school and am considering it. Did you finish your program? Would you be willing to share your experience with us? I'd be doing the online Associates and see that the completion rate is only 58% and I'm curious as to why. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. İ read ur blog. I've been considering swiha online from east coast. Did this school help u to make reasonable money.I have to make min 3-4k a week w/my current expenses to live w/o being in a hole. Is that achievable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dont know if you will be notified of this comment or not, but I joined SWIHA in April. HAve loved it ever since !!!

      Delete
  6. Was wondering if we could get a reply about the school, did you like it? Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was wondering if we could get a reply about the school, did you like it? Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well did you finish your program at SWIHA? How are you doing now? No updates for a very long blog time? What's up with you now? How are things going since you graduated? Please tell us more!

    ReplyDelete