Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In the beginning...

I began my garden in November 2009 (although, at the time of my journal entry, I thought it was January) and did not think to journal my progress until now. Having since developed the garden and am continually adding more and more to it, I find it best to begin this journal now. With numerous blogs to come throughout this week and eventually to fizzle out as time progresses and I have little progress to denote- please bear with me as I update you these last 5 months. I did not think to create a blog until recently when I decided that the pictures I did think to take throughout the last few months should be included in my journal. My first entry from that journal is as follows:

March 22nd, 2010:

I began my garden some months ago, unfortunately I am not sure exactly when as I did not think to record it at the time. However, I am quite sure that I first broke ground in January. I may even venture to guess that I started on January 1st as a New Years Resolution which makes sense because I am prone to do something like that. I do know that I started with the basic herbs: basil, mint, and rosemary- all plants- all of which eventually died except for the rosemary. I planted asylum, snapdragons, and two different types of ferns- all of which have survived and thrived except for the asylum which quickly died.


I enjoyed this first experience greatly and was pleased to be joined by my neighbor's cats who found what I was doing more enjoyable than I- I think.


In February I had enough forethought to denote the day (February the 9th) in a day planner that I planted sees of Garden Bean, Green Onion, and Oregano which had been previously prepared some time ago in January. I also planted another pot with a trailing plant and some more ground cover plants, white, to add some texture to the garden. Somewhere in between these two gardening adventures I also had managed to plant seed for Peas and Arugula.

Another venture I tried and with immense satisfaction on the 9th I planted my very first Faerie Garden. In a shallow, low set terracotta pot I planted two trailing plants and two patches of moss with pathways between each plant allowing in the center a place for my garden faeries to meet and dance. I placed three quartz crystal stones in the center and a few other stones to add extra positive energy to my garden. Subsequently, I have continued the tradition with the stones to my other potted plants and have seen great results. I asked my garden to grown and acknowledge its beauty and in the same breath invited any faerie to take refuge in the garden I had made just for them. Since building my Faerie Garden I have seen a vast improvement in my snapdragon's health, for at the time they were seemingly on their last leg, or leaf for that matter. I asked the faeries to help my garden grow and I thank them every morning on my way out the door.


On the same day I had purchased three pots which said "Herb" (2) and "Basil" on them. I transferred my surviving rosemary to one "Herb" pot and planted a newly acquired sage plant in the other- having forgotten to buy any basil. Overall it was a good, relaxing, and fulfilling day. I was very proud.

Math 17th, St. Patrick's Day, I opted for a less traditional statement of green and dove into my garden. At this point my family and I had just moved from our previous apartment a week earlier due to a small electrical fire. Our new apartment was cramped, small, and somewhat clouded with negative energy. On the positive side we had a view of the pool- water, my favorite- and morning sun with afternoon shade.


After settling in and getting creative with storage inside an afternoon in the garden was the perfect getaway. I had gone to the store (Lowes) and bought more window boxes, potting soil, tomato (husky and cherry), jalapeno, Serrano pepper, purple beauty pepper, golden California wonder pepper, plants as well as some more asylum (let's try that one again) and a trailing plant. Still forgetting the basil! I returned home and started planting at once. I transferred my growing peas, green onion, and garden bean plats into a window box (and the oregano which, I am sad to report, is not growing yet- but I still hold out belief that it will). I planted the plants I purchased at the store and rearranged where I would put the boxes of plants to get the most sun. My arugula is sprouting, but I ran out of room to plant transplant them into a larger box- oh well... I guess that means another trip to the store!


Overall I can say that the last few months have been a learning process- must keep your plants watered!- and a growing experience. My garden is growing and my ideas for creating more space are flowing out of my head- eBay has become a good friend of mine as of late. I believe that is all for an update on how we got to where we are today. More to follow soon...
~Birdie

4 comments:

  1. Wow nice garden...let me know when you clip the buds and they are dy ready to roll. Oh and by the way "What do you call a guy that is chopped up in a million pieces and stuffed into a little jar"...Herb, he..he...he

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dear Jaymee,
    I love your garden!! I want to become a little faerie with a pink bell flower hat, climb inside you pot of moss, lay back and find funny things in the clouds and then settle in for a good long read!
    Love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe Wayne made that comment. What can I say. OK - yes I do believe he made that comment. Looks be-ut-ti-ful Jaymers! There is something very therapeutic about gardening. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayne- Oh my!!! HAHAHAHAHA! That's fantastic! And morbid! hahaha!!! (Mom- you sure know how to pick 'em- right?! hehe)

    Debbie- You can be a faerie in my garden any day! :) I love your comment!

    Mom- You're the green thumb in the family, I'm just trying not to kill anything! Any tips are always welcome! Love you!

    ReplyDelete