Sunday, March 28, 2010

Treasure Hunting 3/25/2010-3/27/2010

I had been looking forward to Friday for multiple reasons, one: because I was going to go to a garage sale at the house I picked up the dragonfly table and room divider from (they had so many more treasures there than I had money to pay for them at the time!), two: because I was going to be able to pick up my birdbath from a gal off of Craigslist who said she would hold it for me until me day off, three: it was my day off, four: Pay Day! An added bonus to my Friday was that my new found friend, Whitney, was able to go treasure hunting with me which was a great excuse to get another chance to hang out with her.

We went to the house and caught the ladies holding the garage sale just in time before they were going to leave. We popped into their garage and starting sifting through boxes. I'll admit I got a little crazy and picked out some things that I do, now, have some buyer's remorse about- but still walked away with some great buys- all in all $20 spent and a car load of gardening items made for a good morning. I walked away with a bucket that had dragonflies stamped in the metal, a few small terracotta pots, a picture of boats, a milk bottle with a cow on it, a small side table (which I put my Faerie Garden on), a decorative watering can a book about herb gardening in pots, and a rustic styled wine rack. Whitney bought a few Paris items for a friend of her's, a mirror, and some pictures with frames she intends to reuse.
Earlier in the week, 3/25/2010, I had walked into Ross for some therapy shopping on my lunch break after a frustrating morning. I bought a few blouses to spice up my wardrobe (apparently I am channeling my inner pirate because everything I bought had stripes!) and I walked into the gardening section. I can't believe, of all the treasure hunting places, I had forgotten about Ross. I stood there in the back department looking at square tables, rectangle tables, corner tables, window boxes, wall art, and decorative pieces for your garden. I was in treasure hunting heaven! But I neither had the time nor the money to spend, so I picked up a small item ($1.99 clearance) that stated "Welcome to our home" with a bird. Perfect. I definitely planned to return... which I did, later that Friday.
After our garage sale, Whitney and I ventured to Half Price Books to see what we could find and walked straight to the gardening section. There are so many books there on gardening it's a little overwhelming, but if you take it slow and peek into the one's that catch your eye it really isn't that bad. I showed Whitney some books that might be useful to her garden, which she is in the process of starting, and we browsed the rest of the store before heading out and returning to Whitney's house.
Unfortunately, Whitney had to work that afternoon so I was left to venture out into the world (of Ross) solo- and perhaps I should have had a chaperon... Ross's inventory had been replenished and oh-my-sweet-planting-pots! I was amazed! Here I had been eBaying and Craigslisting desperately trying to find large pots to have in my garden and I couldn't find anything under $100 and all I had to do was walk into Ross and find it for $23! They are beautiful too! Different colors of blues and greens, I opted for the dark blue and teal with a matching smaller pot, but may have to go back for another big one. By big I mean at least 50+pounds! It is perfect!
I can't wait to start planting. I'm not sure if I want to fill them with new plants, or if I want to transplant some of my current veggies over- they are growing so fast! But that is for a different post to debate!
Saturday, 3/27/2010, made for an interesting day. I was in Tucson for work and had 4 hours to kill and figured there was no better a treat than to explore some local antique shops in a new city. I ended up on a street where there were a few stores in a refurbished warehouse. I walked in and immediately knew "Wow, this is WAY above my pay grade." I had never seen so many overpriced items in my life! It was depressing. $50 for a throw pillow you could find at Target for $10. $48 for a bowl. A BOWL. Not a serving bowl, or a dinner platter.... a SOUP BOWL. In fear of breaking something and having to sell my soul to pay for it, I quickly escaped the clutches of over prices "antiques" and ran across the street the the "Eccentric Flea"- now that is more my cup of tea. However, before turning tail and running to the Gypsy across the street I did manage to snap a picture or two of the most depressing looking Faeries I had ever seen. This is what happens when Faeries find themselves in Las Vegas. Please note the price tag of $49.99 for the 5 inch tall figurines.
*SIGH* Sad.
At the "Eccentric Flea" I managed to find items more to my needs and purchased three low based terracotta pots and a fourth terracotta pot that came with its own stand. Looks like I'll have some space to play with now! It was an interesting store, definitely played well to its name and the owner was pretty eccentric herself.
I would have to say it was a good week in the treasure department, although I am still on the hunt for some good garden decorations that really speak to me. In time.... all good things come in time... I just need to be patient!
Happy hunting,
~Birdie
PS- I never got my birdbath. The gal who had reserved it for me sold it instead. Oh well- something better will come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment