Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Barnheart

I did not create the term Barnheart, but after reading an article, or blog rather, on Mother Earth News I realized that the yearning in my heart was just that- Barnheart. I had fallen victim to the need and desire to be a farmer and possess my own land.

Eventually I will have 20+ acres, a 5 acre vegetable garden, a root cellar, goats, sheep, pigs, and chickens, canning and preserve materials, a small orchard of fruit trees, and a herb and flower garden surrounding my homestead. Eventually.

This eagerness had me stuck with my head in the clouds, constantly planning for my future and, as a side effect, neglecting to appreciate my present. It has gotten to the point where I order catalogues for farming materials such as green houses, fencing, tools, and equipment AND catalogues for heirloom seeds- all of which I have taken a highlighter to and circled my dream seeds for my garden. 5 acres may not be enough space.

Taking to my garden and using the space that I have at my fingertips now I have been able to bring myself down a notch or two and focus on the here and now. My garden is more than a refuge, it's therapy.

Hello. My name is Birdie, and I have Barnheart.

~Birdie

2 comments:

  1. I hope you use this blog as therapy in addition to the gardening itself. Keep it up (the blog, and by extension the gardening).

    Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jason! :) It certainly is a start and it's been a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete