Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Baker Nursery 4.18.2010

My Beau's mom, Deb, (and fellow garden/homesteader/barnheart sufferer) stopped by on Sunday to take me to a local nursery she had found and fallen in love with- as she had put it "I could just live there." Deb drove me out to Baker Nursery in Phoenix, a little bit North of the 202-W and a bit of a ways down 40th St. During our drive out that way Deb explained to me that she loved the little houses on the way- with their lived in gardens and yards, vibrant brick and stucco structures and ivy growing everywhere. Further down 40th st. we continued and soon, tucked away in an established Phoenix neighborhood, we came across the nursery which waited patiently for us. I was pleased to see a full parking lot and crowded curbside as I am always happy when local business thrive in a community. Deb landed us a sweet little parking spot front and center with the carts and a pathway straight into the nursery and we made our way in.

It always amazes me how I go in with the intention of not buying anything and then I end up being the one running back to the carts so I can help fill it up! I can report, however, that I only filled up one box of goodies and left it at that- although I could have filled many more. Lately I've been on a mission to try to even out my garden as I have oodles of plants on the right side (when facing my front door) and hardly anything on the left side. So with that in mind I started looking for shade hungry plants that would thrive in that corner which only received an hour or so of morning sun and then was cast into the depths of shade for the remainder of the day. I picked up some more English Ivy (two) to help with covering the divider, a beautiful purple heliotrope, some Plumosa Ferns (2), Lambs ear, Lemon Basil, Bay leaf, Catnip (For Ada and my tea), tarragon, and sorrel. I wasn't originally planning on picking up the sorrel, but after tasting the leaf and sending a shock of lemon into my jaw I quickly plopped it into my box.

Deb picked up two boxes of goodies and a pound of plant food. I know that she got some herbs (bay leaf, woolly thyme, etc.) and a watermelon plants, but I can't remember entirely what goodies could be found in her boxes. Unfortunately, Deb's search for her Johnny Jump Ups and dill went unaided. I must remember to tell her Lowes had some dill on sale in their garden center.

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and a beautiful nursery (plus great company)- if Deb moves in she may need to make room for a roommate. I do plan on returned to the nursery to show to Whitney one of these days.


Lamb's ear and Plumosa Fern. Lemon Basil, catnip, sorrel, tarragon.

Marine Heliotrope. English Ivy.

Bay leaf. Plumosa Fern.
Thanks Deb for the great trip to the nursery,
~ Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment