Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Attack! Of the Free Radicals!

I've been hit! I've been hit! (Wo)Man down!!!

Yes, I'm sad to report that I was struck with the cold/flu that has been spreading viciously throughout my friends and family this season. I didn't even see it coming! A scratchy throat one minute and BAM! Fever, achy body, oozing/congested nose, and the energy of a dead Duracell battery. Quickly, I went from unsuspecting victim to the take charge-get better-naturally-(soon to be)-health counselor that I am. I did some research and drew from my own knowledge to find the quickest way to conquer this invasion of free-radicals.

First, I changed my diet. Bye bye unnatural sugar! No need for that until I am 100% better! A liquid diet was next; soups and water all day. No dairy (that makes the mucus buildups worse!)

Then I decided a hot shower would be nice. Hot shower in the morning, cozy, warm clothes, and a space heater to keep me warm throughout the day. I didn't want to lose my fever. Did you know that fevers (until they reach extreme temperatures) are good for you? That's your body battling the free-radicals that are making you sick! The body raises its temperature to make the body's internal environment unsuitable for the free-radicals, making them die and go away. Knowing this made "feeling the burn" worth it. It was uplifting to know my body was fighting for my health, was it uncomfortable? Absolutely. But it helped to know that I needed to have this "healing crisis" in order to get well. So I tucked into the couch with Izzie and a soft blanket my mom sent me for Christmas and watched a movie or two while dozing in and out of sleep. If I wasn't on the couch then I was on the floor in front of the space heater sleeping. (I had Beau there to monitor me- no need to set fires.)
One of my favorites!

I ate homemade, organic vegetable soup for breakfast and tomato soup for lunch. I had beans for dinner- yum! And I drank lots of water throughout the day. My head started to hurt so Beau and I took Izzie for a walk. The cool, fresh air was very refreshing and made me feel better. My body was super stiff and achy from the day so I took a hot bath with chamomile and lavender herbs, peppermint essential oil, and sea salt. I turned off the lights in the bathroom and sank in. When the water cooled I emptied it a little and filled it with more hot water. After the bath I applied a deep breathing application for aromatherapy to my chest and back of my neck- the formula had Spruce, Peppermint, and Lavender essential oils. I climbed into bed and had a fitful night's rest. The next morning when I woke up my fever was gone, my nose wasn't congested, and my throat had seemed to clear. My only ailments were related to the body cleansing itself of the remnants of being sick. More liquids that day, but I ate chips and salsa in the evening to help my nose clear out- spicy food is always good for congestion.

Bird bath, get it? Birdie in a bath?
 In a nutshell:
  • Liquids. Liquids. Liquids. Flush the toxins out of your system.
  • Avoid sugars and dairy which can make conditions worse!
  • Let the body heal itself- let that Fever burn! (unless it gets too high, then consult a doctor).
  • Stay warm, sweat out the toxins.
  • Rest, rest, and more rest. Fighting a battle is hard work!
  • Showers and baths to soothe the aches.
  • Exercise to clear the head and get fresh air.
  • Aromatherapy to ease congestion- peppermint is good at this.
Things I would have done if able: Sauna and steam room- sweat the toxins out and the steam to help with congestion. Massage- these are always good at cleansing the body of toxins. Just drink LOTS of water- plus it helps with the achy body. Hot Tub- Get rid of the aches, but also helps with the fever.

If you feel that cold coming on, try something new- reach for the garlic. Put two garlic cloves in your mouth- one on each side. Place each clove between your cheek and your gums until the flavor runs out. Your cold symptoms (and future cold) should go away by the end of the day if not within hours. Give it a shot! Can't hurt, right? And while keeping garlic in your mouth isn't the most desirable thing to do- it beats having a cold, right?

Your Companion in Fighting the Good Fight,
~Birdie

3 comments:

  1. wow, that birds in the bath pic is phenomenal. good luck with your regimen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips for aroma therapy! I will have to try that - also battling the flu. Garlic is a definite must - been eating roasted garlic with baked potatoes and tahini sauce the past week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are beginning to feel better. The aromatherapy helped me with the congestion. Thank goodness for peppermint! :) Once I read your comment I immediately went to the store and bough potatoes, garlic, and some tahini sauce. It tasted just as good as it sounded! :)

    ReplyDelete