Saturday, April 23, 2011

Spontaneous Nuptials

I started a fun, very sentimental project this week after a very special occasion this last Wednesday night (4/20/2011). Beau and I, in a very small ceremony of two witnesses, exchanged vows in a lifelong commitment to one another. That is... we got married!! It was a fun dash to the alter with a week to prepare and two very close friends in support. Whitney was an amazing whirlwind of creativity, acting as our wedding planner, photographer, stylist, make-up artist, hair stylist, florist, maid of honor, and witness. (Did I forget anything? Probably.) Her husband, Matt, joined us as well and was a wonderful support for us acting as best man, our second witness, and chauffeur. They were amazing. (THANK YOU GUYS!!) We couldn't have done it without them.
After fun photos, a beautiful and quick ceremony, and dinner with Matt and Whitney; Beau and I escaped home to relax for the evening. I unwrapped my bouquet that Whitney had so expertly put together, and placed it in some water. Now, personally, I am terrible at drying flowers myself and I rarely find an appropriate use for them so I felt in somewhat of a conundrum; How could I preserve this moment and experience without making it look horrible or wasteful? Then it struck me.... I could make a flower essence! Stroke of genius... I must admit. 
Throughout the day of a wedding so much attention is paid to the bride's bouquet. So much love and positive intent surrounds the bouquet and so many caring, happy hands hold it. What better way to capture that energy than to harvest the bouquet's essence?! 

So I set out to work.


Giant jar, halfway filled with purified water.
Snipped off a few of each of the different flowers
 allowing them to plop into the water.
Inside the jar.
I let it sit out overnight to soak up the energy of the moon.
Then I let it sit out in the sun to soak up the day's energy as well. 
I removed the flowers with a metal spoon.
You can see that the water is pink now. 
After removing all of the flowers and their little pieces from the water, I filled the jar with 80 proof vodka to preserve the "mother essence" an equal amount to the water. This Mother Essence should last us the next 20 years... and when we run out? We renew our vows, make another bouquet, and thus... another essence! 


I love this idea because of the simplicity of it, but also the usefulness of it. I will use this essence in my cooking, we will take drops of it when we are feeling low or down... or when we just can't seem to see eye to eye. We will apply it to our children (when that day comes) to calm them.... we will use it anywhere we feel there is a need for an extra dose of love. It is perfect. 


I encourage all brides to consider this idea for their bouquets. I made a large amount, but even a 16 oz mason jar will last years when diluted correctly. See my previous post regarding how to make flower essences and their proper dosages HERE


Happy Wedding Planning,
~ Mrs. Birdie

4 comments:

  1. Mrs. Birdie,
    I cannot express how excited I am for the both of you!!!!! This is absolutely fantastic! Congratulations to the both of you--enjoy!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cathy! We had a blast in the process! :) Can't wait to see photos of your big day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh love this!! brilliant. more photos of you guys on the big day? wedding are my favorite you know?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jennifer! I had a lot of fun doing it - I have SO much flower essence... I am thinking about selling it or including it in some of my products as an extra dose of "love and happy" feeling. :) Jury is still out on that one. :) I haven't seen the photos yet, but I might post more once we get them. I haven't posted a photo of myself or Beau on this blog and am not sure if I want to go that far... BUT if you're interested, I'll be sure to email you a few so you can gush with me. :) Weddings sure are the pips!

    ReplyDelete