Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Thoughts, Ideas, and Plans - Oh My!

In one of my SWIHA classes (yes, I pretty much live there and am oh so very happy to!) we talked about blogs. We brainstormed and went over a few blogging techniques to help the blog be in tip-top shape. One of the suggestions for proper blogging etiquette was to blog every day... this does NOT seem like an easy task to me as I typically only blog when I have something important, valuable, nonsensical, or educational for my whopping 6 Followers to enjoy... I try not to bog down this blog with every day rantings or inspirations, philosophies or whimsies because I want you to get the good stuff, the pulp, the pertinent information. BUT I am willing to give it a try. So that is my first Thought. I am going to try to start blogging more often, even if I don't have a huge project or update, etc. To start, I am going to write about things that caught my attention throughout the day and go from there. Wish me luck!


My Idea is this- it is April. My birthday is in June. That's 2 months to start thinking about things. Usually I am not big into my birthdays because, honestly and perhaps shockingly, I don't like being in the spotlight. It makes me feel selfish. (That's a long story.) So I typically let my birthday pass without making a big hub-bub about it, no party, no presents, no cake, etc. It's just another day. BUT I am willing to give it a try. After all, it is my 25th birthday which to me is very important. This marks a Quarter of a Century on this beautiful Earth. This means I am half way to 50! This means that I am half way through my 20's which means I am almost 30 and officially not a "young 20-something". This is a big day and is worthy of celebration. With that said, I think I am going to start a birthday list. I have a few wants and desires that sure would be the Bee's-knees if I could get them on such a momentous occasion. They would really be a great way to embark on the next 75+ years of my life! (YES! I do intend to live so long!) The birthday list will follow in a later blog once I get a chance to put it together. Keep an eye out. It should be a good one.
Ok, ok... maybe no fireworks.
I need to write down a list of blogs I want to create and share. There are so many subjects I could put on that list, it is silly. Really really silly. So many many things. I better start writing them down. I've learned recently that I need to stop living in my mind so much and start listening to that voice inside me (my intuition). I need to start following my heart and letting the Universe take the lead - I have control issues sometimes. Here's the Plan... I'm going to stop trying to control where my life ends up. I'm going to stop planning so many years in advance (yes, I have a 10, 20, and 30 year plan.) I'm going to be spontaneous again, if I haven't forgotten how. I'm going to allow adventure to happen and I am going to take full advantage of the opportunities that come my way. 


Let's put it this way: If Life is a Horse then the reigns that control the Horse control Life as well. If I hold on to the reigns I can direct the Horse to go anywhere I want it to go. It has not choice. That is how I have been running my life as of late. Complete control. If I drop the reigns and let the Horse take control, chaos would surely ensue. There would be no direction or containment. The Horse would run amuck. If I hand the reigns over to the Universe and instead I pick up a carrot on a stick and stretch the stick out in front of the horse so that the carrot then dangles just out of reach, I now I have direction and intent - "I would like to go this way" - but the Horse still has a choice. The Horse can choose if he wants to chase the carrot or if he wants to go left instead of right. With this intent I can direct the path of my life, but I don't have complete control... and I am becoming increasingly OK with that. 
Source
And so I say: 


"I would rather have a carrot on a stick then a hold of the reigns." 

My new mantra. I think it is fitting... especially when you know what the heck I'm talking about. 

Letting Life Begin,
~ Birdie

1 comment:

  1. I like your mantra, too, but change "then" to "than." I'm much in the need of the same advice. I'm using this semester off school to explore opportunities I haven't had time or will for.

    But how do you keep up the will? This, to be clear, is not a rhetorical question.

    ReplyDelete