Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Busy Bee" Doesn't Cover Half of It!

Wow- so somehow, after sleeping well and having two fantastic dreams- One where Beau gets an awesome job somewhere awesome; Another where I ship wreck on a beautiful island where everything is set up for organic farming and living off the grid- no real reason to want to find my way back, it was paradise! Anyway... what was I saying? Oh yeah... somehow after all that and a delicious, healthy (say what?) breakfast of steel cut oats, honey, and fruit and some eggs with Tabasco sauce I managed to get struck by a domestic lightning bolt that drove me to do so very many things today that I really had not intended on doing. (See the PS note at the bottom) I just did them. It was strange. And, really, I got a TON done today... and now I am writing this blog which will eventually allow me to get my thinking cap on so that I can dive into my homework- hopefully with as much enthusiasm as I had for my domestic duties.


This is what I have accomplished thus far on this beautiful (air conditioned) Sunday:


I did the dishes. (Not pictured because they are clean and put away... because I did the dishes.)


And then I decided I wanted to can the left over soup I had been forgetting about in the fridge, but in order to do that I had to make paper because the shredded paper was soaking in water in the pressure cooker pot. (Not pressure cookering, I just needed a large pot to hold it.) So I made paper first. 


Paper... it is drying.
Paper with Coriander (Cilantro) Seeds in it. Use it. Plant it. Awesome.
And then I cleaned the pressure cooker so that I could can the soup I had been forgetting about in the fridge. 
Mmmm soup.
And then I decided to finally make the bath salt I had offered to make for my friend who is pregnant and had been putting off this last week. So I did some of that. While I was there making her bath salt, I broke the jar of one of my other bath salts so I had to transfer it. I wasn't happy about it. That was a really nice (albeit recycled) jar. Also while there, I decided to fill up the bathroom air freshener that was almost gone and the deep breathing spray I use on our pillows every night to help us sleep. Both were running very low, so this was a great time to get that done. So I did some alchemy.


Gotta keep those droppers clean!
Then I thought, what a beautiful day to plant some herbs and vegetables! So I gardened a bit. While I was there I thought, "When was the last time I posted a photo of all the vegetables I had planted in the Fall?" Pretty sure I haven't had a garden update in a while, so this counts as such.
The ferns are kind of getting out of control, but I love all the green they add!
Le Carrots
The Garlic is almost ready! No really, all those dead looking
pieces is a good thing!
I grew these snapdragons from seeds! I'm so proud.
Moving on up in the gardening world!
Spinach! It is growing like crazy! Yummy. I also grew these from seeds.
Again, I'm proud.
Ok, now this frisky fella was not planned. He was an "accident" to put it nicely.
I didn't plant him this year, but here he is...
starry eyed and ready to produce some tomatoes.
He grew, somehow, from leftovers of the tomato plants I had last year.
I'm pretty excited.
This is a garden fairy. She has junk in her trunk.
These are the seeds I planted. I love Baker Creek's Heirloom Seeds.
You should too.
What I planted today: Hopi Melons, Sweet and Red potatoes (I know it isn't the correct season, but I did it anyway... I'm a rebel like that), Chamomile, Lemon Balm, Lemon Grass, Feverfew, Cilantro, Bell Peppers: Charleston Belle, Golden California Wonder, and Emerald Green; Tabasco Peppers (hot). Yum yum yummy!


After gardening I came inside... because honestly, I am tired and I thought "I really want to blog about my adventurous day!" So here I am. Now I must get to homework. Because it is important too and I need to use my remaining energy on Nutrition, Physiology, and Writing for Publication. 


Before I go, here are some photos of the babies from this last month:
Ada, our little princess.
Izzie, also our little princess.
Porter, our brooding young lad.


Hope your day was just as productive,
~ Birdie


PS- I would like to note that when I woke up this morning my first thought was "I want to go lay by the pool." This did not happen today. 

2 comments:

  1. Well Birdie you sure are a busy bee I love the things that you accomplished and your photos are awesome. I can't wait till I will get my greens growing I have started my Kale and Tomatoes in the house we need a couple more months to put outside I am getting anxious. Keep up the good work all that and homework you are inspiring. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Buttons! The motivation come completely out of no where! But I feel so much better knowing that I got so much done. I'm excited to hear more about your Kale and Tomatoes. It is past tomato season here (although, as pictured above, I have that rogue tomato plant in my garden). What state are you in where you need it to be warmer? We are already playing in the 90's and 100's here in AZ! Thank you for the encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete