Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Home Grown

I don't have much to write or at least I'm not inspired much at this moment to write, but I feel it is something worth noting, as I munch on these mild radishes dipped in ranch, that even though we aren't able to go to the local farmers market right now we can still get "local" foods from our supermarket. Beau and I usually go to the Saturday morning Farmers Market every weekend where we would buy all our produce and bread, pasta and granola for the week. It is a great tradition that we love very much. However, my work schedule has changed and I am working Saturday mornings. We have tried to go to other Farmers Markets in the area during the week, but they just didn't have same atmosphere as our Saturday Market. Needless to say, we have been shopping at the grocery store until my Saturdays are free again. Tonight, on such a trip, I took note of the labels on our food. I'm surprised I hadn't looked before, as I am becoming increasingly interested in knowing where my food is coming from and who produced it. Such a luxury of the Farmers Market, not so much the grocery store.
Grocery Cart
This is the beginning of our shopping cart. To the left (Red potatoes, carrots, broccoli, blueberries, mushrooms, radishes, apples, and onions) were all produced and grown in the United States. The items of the right (Plums, Avocados, tomatoes) came from Chile and Mexico. I was happily surprised to see how much of our food was coming from the USA. We were shopping at a grocery chain called Fresh and Easy. I challenge you all to check where your food is being grown. Keep in mind that the FDA and USDA have rules for our country (politics aside) regarding what kind of pesticides can be used on our produce. This means that pesticide companies can only use certain "non-harmful" pesticides on our food, however, this does not stop these companies from manufacturing illegal, extremely harmful pesticides and shipping them to other countries where the rules and regulations are not as strict. These countries, who are using these harmful pesticides, are shipping their crops over to the US where the American people are consuming the food and pesticides. This is creating a Circle of Poison. A small book was written by two scientists in the 70's-80's regarding the dangers of pesticides. I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in making healthier decisions for themselves and their family. If anyone needed reason to buy organic, this book would give plenty.

Side Note:
Vegetables that Izzie LOVES:
Broccoli
Tomatoes
Radishes
Carrots
Lettuce
Spinach

Vegetables that Izzie HATES:
Celery

What are you eating?
~Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment