Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Medicinal Roots - Week 2: Acne/Blackheads

Question:
I have been battling black heads and acne-prone skin all of my life. On a day-to-day basis I apply salicylic acid to my face, use cleaner, and moisturizer. Twice a day. This is a LOT of stuff I have to put on my face in one given day. I can tell that I am wearing my skin down by applying so much product and I would really like to know a more natural way of keeping my poor skin under control and HOPEFULLY eliminate my acne and blackheads for good! 


Answer:
This is a great question. There are a lot of people who suffer from this issue, myself included. I recently offered some Tea-advice to a friend who was dealing with some uncommon acne - the same rule applies here. 


Salicylic Acid and Soaps
The idea of putting any type of chemical acid on my face worries me considering that I have become increasingly attached to the idea that you should never put something on your skin that you would not put in your mouth. We say this because, simply, whatever is put on your skin is ultimately absorbed by the body so you might as well stick it in your mouth too while you are at it. Ew. Also, we are trained to treat acne topically, assuming it is an external problem. This, truly, is not the case. All skin irritations, cancers, and other blemishes are, at the root, an internal issue. Our diet, the cleanliness of our blood supply, and our emotional/hormonal state that are the culprits. Just to note a doctor who I respect to the end of the world and back:
"Soap removes the protective oil from the skin and upsets the acid-alkaline balance. Only use soap if your skin is really dirty; otherwise, wash with water." - Dr. Christopher
What Are You Eating?
The best thing to do is to take a glance at your diet. What percentage of your foods are live foods? Fresh produce - vegetables and fruit? Versus how much of your food is processed or dead (meat)? Our diets, remarkably, are the key to most any and every illness or ailment we can think up. We very seriously are what we eat - what we put in our bodies becomes the food and fuel for our cells which create every inch and ounce of our bodies. So if we are not eating life or if we are eating an excess of processed junk our bodies will become made up of just that. Beautiful, radiant skin that looks full of life (is firm and youthful) comes from eating live things like plants. This doesn't mean we have to eat raw foods or strictly vegan. It just means that we need to incorporate more delicious fruits and vegetables into our diet and eat less meat dominant meals.


Drink Tea
To supplement a healthy diet, acne/blackhead sufferers should invest in some Red Clover and Burdock herbs or teas. By drinking a red clover tea and then, later in the month, some burdock root tea the body will be able to cleanse its blood supply and push all of the toxins out of the body.

  • 1 tbs Red Clover herb in an 8 oz cup of hot water, 3 times a day for a week. (may sweeten with raw honey if desired).
  • 1 tbs Burdock root in an 8 oz cup of hot water, 3 times a day for a week. (sweeten with raw honey- trust me).
  • Rotate weekly for 3 months.
  • You can also use the cooled Red Clover tea as a face wash or in a bath from time to time.

Here is the catch - by drinking the tea and pushing out the toxins you are in for a little surprise. The way the body pushes out toxins is through the skin - your oil glands... so expect more acne. <--- There, I said it. Please don't roll your eyes just yet. Let me explain!!


You know that old adage that says "Things will get worse before they get better?" Yes, well... surprisingly, it's true! Our bodies must experience a "healing crisis" before it can begin to heal itself. Just like when you are sick and have a fever; your fever must reach its peak before the next day when it is nearly gone. So, in this instance, your skin will break out more before it can begin to clear up. This extra breakout is literally the body forcing the toxins out of your body and to the surface. This may be a major bummer, but at the same time, realize that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, that this is the beginning of your body healing itself! It is quite beautiful if you really think about it.


Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun
Your next step is to go out and enjoy the sun shine! Leave your sunblock at home! Be wise in your sunshine time and be sure to bring a lot of water. It is recommended that you start slow if you are a newly minted sunbather- so only a few minutes a day (like 1 minute, I'm not kidding.) If sunbathing is nothing new to you, try sitting in the sun for 5 minutes to start. We are not looking to get a tan here, we are simply looking for some sincere one on one time with Mr. Sun. This means a clean (make-up) free face. For every day after you start this rendezvous with the sun, add a few minutes to your time. Also, be sure to meet with the sun during healthy sun hours - avoid bathing between 11:00AM and 1:00PM. Morning sun is ALWAYS a better recommendation. Set a timer for yourself, we tend to bask in the sunlight and we don't want to overdo it - so set a timer and obey it! 

  • New: 1 minute on the first day. Add 2 minutes per day following.
  • Experienced: 5 minutes on the first day. Add 5 minutes per day following.
So what does the sun do for you? Well it helps "ripen" you up! Just like a beautiful flower we too need the sun to help us grow. The sun light will help pull the toxins out of your body while the tea is busy pushing them. 

Cosmetics
Remember my whole, "Don't put it on your skin if you won't put it in your mouth"? Well it applies here as well. I recently did some exploring (not being one to dive into make-up much) and I found a few websites that provide natural, mineral cosmetics. I was pretty excited by this, although I know that it isn't very new in the cosmetics world. Right now, through the recommendation of a friend, I am waiting on a few eye shadows and foundation powder from The Body Shop that are mineral based. (They are currently having a wicked sale right now and free shipping-FYI). This make-up will be light and thin... not caky and thick like most products on the market today. It is hard to get by in this society Make-up free, but please try whenever you can. Go for a natural, lighter look instead of the dramatic. Natural beauty is always more desired in the long run... your skin will thank you for it too!! 

Moisturizers
Confession time: I suffer from Psoriasis. Meaning... I get dry patchy blemishes on my skin... all over my body. My scalp is flaky and makes me look like I have dandruff. It can be rather embarrassing. I have had to battle this skin condition since I was 16. My nose and cheeks were the worst in my flare ups. My morning ritual involved facial scrubs to exfoliate my skin and moisturizing my body, head to toe, with a thick lotion from St. Ives. Again, the mantra pops up regarding putting things on my skin and in my mouth. Would I ingest this lotion? Um no. Not willingly. So I made a switch to using carrier oils instead (or massage oil). I use organic sesame oil on my body and a home made organic creme for my face. Since I have dry skin, I could use something like a Shea butter. For oily skin, most won't need a moisturizer especially if they start taking care of their bodies in the ways suggested above. You could also consider using vitamin E oil in your most targeted areas that give you the most trouble. Vitamin E is a beautiful helper for our bodies and keeping our skin in tip-top shape. It is most commonly used for scaring of the skin, but can be used (paired with Aloe) for burns. 

I hope this is a good jumping point for you. Unfortunately there is no over-night fix. As with most holistic remedies, we need to invest time and effort into it and be patient. 

A great online store to consider is Mountain Rose Herbs. They provide organic herbs, butters, and oils in bulk. They are my supplier for most of my products.

Very sincerely yours,
~Birdie



No comments:

Post a Comment