Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Medicinal Roots - Week 4: Yoga!

Question:
My boyfriend threw his back out yesterday and I'm trying to convince him to check out the $5 yoga classes at SWIHA with me tomorrow (I want to try the yoga basics class). He thinks he should get adjusted before going and I was going to try to find out if yoga would actually help his back instead of worsen it. What would you advise?
PS- Also, I've never taken yoga before, should I start with that class? What classes would help neck/shoulder/back tension?



Answer:
I love this question because it allows me to hop onto one of many of my soap boxes. I love Yoga. Plain. And. Simple. I love it. I love what it does for the individual as well as what it does for the community of spirits enjoying it together. I love the spiritual connectedness that it awakens. I love the control it gives us over our bodies and the peace of mind we receive through deep breathing. I love it.
Source
That being said, I recommend that your boyfriend do whatever it is he has done in the past that has been successful. If this means going to go to his chiropractic Doc to get a back adjustment, then he should. AFTER his back is stronger and he is feeling better, YES! Go to Yoga classes together! Yoga will help strengthen his back so that he won't throw it out again in the future. It will strengthen his knees, thighs, shoulders, and chest so that his core will be supported correctly. Yoga will also straighten his posture which will also help his back. 


When you both finally do make it to a class, be sure to get there early so that you can speak with the instructor. Talk with the instructor about his back issues so that the instructor can be conscious of it during class. The instructor should be able to tell your boyfriend of any alternative poses he can do to benefit his back and also so that your boyfriend doesn't attempt any poses that might hurt his back, like the Candle-Stick. 


In general, Yoga is an amazing strength building exercise that any mobile person can participate in. You don't have to be athletically inclined, skinny, tall, short, in-shape, young, old, or average. It really is an activity that welcomes all to its table. And best yet, you can start at any time! You don't have to be a Yogi to participate. New faces are always welcome!
Um... amazing, right? Source
Source
The benefits of Yoga are numerous and while I am not fully educated... ok ok... I am barely educated on the full potential of Yoga, but I understand some of the many benefits. Because it is a strength building exercise it is excellent for people with arthritis and stiffness of the joints. The movement and flexibility of the poses helps with blood circulation and blood pressure. One of the most prominent features of classic Yoga is that it is slow, calm, and quiet. It is a peaceful exercise. It allows time for reflection, meditation, and stillness of the mind. This is great for those who suffer from anxiety, stress, and mind chatter. 
Source
Yoga is a spiritual experience as well. When I say "spiritual" I do not mean one religion. I am talking about true spiritualism. There doesn't have to be one single religion about it. Is Yoga associated with one (or three) particular belief systems? Yes, but it doesn't have to be for you. That, my friends, is completely your choice.Yoga practice is a time to search your inner self and to connect to your spirit. It is a time to connect with a higher Spirit... who or whatever that higher Spirit may be to the individual. This can be a time of prayer or meditation. A time to imagine changes we would like to see in ourselves. And it is a time to give thanks for what we have in our lives and the people we share it with. Gratitude is very important, here is an opportunity to embrace it! 
Source
So what about that funny little word at the end of your Yoga experience? You know the one... you are sitting on your mat, facing the instructor. Your hands are pressed together at the palms near your heart with your fingers pointing toward the sky. You bow and say "Namaste." What does that mean anyway? A modern interpretation of the word is "The spirit in me respects the spirit in you." It could also be "The divinity in me bows to the divinity in you." It is typically used as a greeting and parting message among those in India, similarly to our "hello" and "goodbye." It really isn't all that weird in the end, but rather beautiful when you think about it.
Source
As I mentioned above, talk to your Yoga instructor before class. Get to know them and let them know of any physical concerns you might have regarding your Yoga practice. They can't help you if they don't know if there is anything hurting you. This includes head colds, flus, and other illnesses. (Yep, there are poses out there that will open your sinuses!) Be aware that inversions are not advised for women who are pregnant or on their menstrual cycles.


Some Excellent Resources:

  • Spirit of Yoga (SWIHA's Yoga Den) 

                 Rates 
                 Schedule


Namaste,
~ Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment