Sunday, May 29, 2011

Honor

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
-Alexander Hamilton

Do we live in a society where Honor is so uncommon in the common man that we become turned off of people when they display it? 

Do we live in a society where Respecting Honor is a stretch of the imagination?

Have we become so removed and out of touch that we struggle to Honor ourselves, to such a point that it requires Courage to do so?

"For though we love both the truth and our friends, piety requires us to honor the truth first." 
~ Aristotle

Honor is a great many things and has many forms and applications. To live in Honor. To act in Honor. To Respect and receive Honor. To Honor our hearts before the minds of others. Honor is a philosophy much lost on today's society. 

It is not meant to be easy as the quote above gives proof. It is meant to be earned rather than a right of birth. Honor requires practice, it requires confidence, and it requires good. To Honor something under greed, prejudice, or ill intent breeds something different entirely. This is not Honor.

"It is not our purpose to become each other; it is to recognize each other, to learn to see the other and honor him for what he is."
~ Hermann Hesse

I am beginning to learn how to Honor myself. To remain confident in my decisions when I know that anything else would offend and upset the boundaries and expectations I have of myself. I am beginning to learn how to Honor my heart in that when I hear it speaking to me I will choose to listen instead of turning away from it. I am beginning to Honor others in who they are, what they represent, and how they choose to perceive the world. I am beginning to Honor my ethics, my values, and my morals. Without these I would be nothing. 

To find those who Honor me and who I am will always be a challenge, but, as with any obstacle, there is always Hope.

Respectfully Yours,
~ Birdie


3 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written, Jaymee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post. you won that giveaway :) email me your address again email@jenniferlindschutsky.com so I can ship them, unless you want to meet up (less likely to get broken that way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you (almost) Mrs. Mini! :)

    Mrs. Cupcake - yay! I love these little mushrooms. I cannot wait to have a bit of Earth to put them on. I will shoot you an email and we can figure something out. :)

    ReplyDelete