Thursday, May 26, 2011

What's Your Dosha, Baby?

Ayurveda (pronounced: eye-yer-vay-duh... yes, very Webster, I know) means "the science of life and longevity."


The following information about Ayurveda is provided by my instructor at SWIHA, Melanie:


"It is a traditional wellness system that has been practiced in India for over 5,000 years. This ancient healing wisdom has been passed on through the generations, and is still recognized as one of the most complete mind, body, spirit healing systems to this day. Ayurvedic medicine treats each person individually, taking into consideration the person's lifestyle, diet, exercise, behavioral characteristics, body type, and more. The system's goal is to obtain a balance of the mind, body and spirit as a whole.


Ayurveda states that everyone and everything is composed of five fundamental elements. All matter is made up of the five elements, as follows:
Earth - the solid state of matter
Water - the fluid state of matter
Fire - the energy power to transform matter from one state into another
Air - the gaseous state of matter
Space - the space in which matter can exist and is contained"
Source
We have all of these elements present in us, what makes us unique is the different levels of each found within each person. True well being, in this case, is dependent upon the harmony and balance of the mix of elements in the individual. This mix of elements is known as our personal "constitutions" or our Dosha. "The five elements, when combined, give rise to three biological forces, your personal 'dosha'."


Vata = Space/Air, primary is Air
Pitta = Fire/Water, primary is Fire
Kapha = Water/Earth, primary is Earth


Source
Source
 - We are going to play with this science more throughout our time together on this blog, but until then let's focus on the basics... like figuring out what your dosha is first, and then later exploring what this means for you! -

Dosha Quiz:
Instructions: If the statement is true for you write "2" for Yes. If the statement is a Maybe or Uncertain write a "1". If the statement is not true write a "0" for No.
Yes = 2
Maybe/Uncertain = 1
No = 0
__ 1. I am always thinking; my mind never slows down.
__ 2. My body is not proportionate (too long or short),
__ 3. I am always cold.
__ 4. I am a thin person and do not gain weight easily.
__ 5. I do tasks quickly but I need frequent breaks.
__ 6. I have one of these conditions: hemorrhoids, gas, irritable bowel syndrome.
__ 7. I am a light sleeper and do not have solid, continuous sleep.
__ 8. I get constipated.
__ 9. During the last 10 years, my weight has fluctuated within 10 pounds.
__ 10. It is hard for me to make a decision.
__ 11. I want to do and learn so many things right now. 
__ 12. I start many projects but seldom finish them.
__ 13. I have trouble staying in a long term relationship.
__ 14. I can not stay in the same job too long.
__ 15. I get bored doing repetitive tasks.
__ 16. I am creative but my creativity comes in spurts.
__ 17. I am the life of the party.
__ 18. I learn things quickly but I have difficulty remembering them later.
__ 19. I prefer working with my hands instead of reading a book.
__ 20. I worry often; even over the most insignificant things.
Vata Total: ___________

__ 1. I can focus on jobs and tasks and complete them on time.
__ 2. I am well organized and plan things well.
__ 3. I have a strong will and seldom give up.
__ 4. I am an efficient person.
__ 5. I seldom get constipated.
__ 6. I usually feel hot.
__ 7. I have a healthy appetite and prefer large meals.
__ 8. I have skin disorders such as acne, rash, eczema, psoriasis.
__ 9. I am sometimes stubborn.
__ 10. I can lose my temper easily.
__ 11. I think I am always right.
__ 12. I need factual information before making decisions.
__ 13. I am not happy unless everything is done to perfection.
__ 14. I have a sensitive intestine.
__ 15. I can tolerate temperature changes.
__ 16. My body is average; I am not overweight or underweight.
__ 17. My weight moderately fluctuates.
__ 18. I lack patience.
__ 19. I am too hard on myself and others.
__ 20. I can work for long periods of time without breaks.
Pitta Total: __________

__ 1. I have a large body frame.
__ 2. I gain weight easily.
__ 3. I enjoy eating.
__ 4. I can do repetitive tasks.
__ 5. I don't like change. 
__ 6. I am caring, affectionate, and deep.
__ 7. Nothing bother me; I take things in stride.
__ 8. Trust is very important to me.
__ 9. I love to sleep.
__ 10. My body is always warm.
__ 11. I take my time to complete tasks.
__ 12. I do not like to rush.
__ 13. I like the way I am; I don't want to change.
__ 14. I have frequent sinus infections and congestion.
__ 15. It is hard for me to lose weight.
__ 16. It is hard for me to let things go.
__ 17. I am slow and steady but I keep going until I finish the job.
__ 18. I like systematic routine.
__ 19. I do not like damp weather.
__ 20. I have a good memory; I am a slow learning but I retain information for a long time.
Kapha Total: ________

OK - What are your totals?
Vata:
Pitta:
Kapha:

Remember, you will have all three in your personal constitution. If your numbers are all near in amount then you are a more balanced constitution. Most people will have one dosha that is ahead of the rest with a second dosha in a close second. This is called a "dual-dosha." 

Me: Vata = 11 ; Pitta = 24 ; Kapha = 27.

So, my dominant dosha is Kapha and my dual dosha is Pitta. To put it into tangible terms, my emotions and personality is rooted in Kapha. My motivation, temperament and physical body is Pitta. My creative side is more Vata. 

Beau's doshas are all very similar in number and his divisions are pretty easy to see; mentally he is Vata, temperament is Pitta, and physically and emotionally Kapha.

...... now what? Well next we will talk about what these doshas look like in people. After that, we will discuss what happens when we have an imbalance in our doshas and how to help balance them again. However, that will have to wait for different posts. 
Source
Tell me what your dosha is in the comments below! I would love to hear what your results turned out to be!

Looking Forward to Getting to Know You,
~ Birdie

4 comments:

  1. These are for Cathy (we'll do Adam's once he's not working)

    Vata: 16
    Pitta: 33
    Kapha: 21

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post!
    Mine are:
    Vata: 36
    Pitta: 18
    Kapha: 25

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I see this in both of you guys! Hands down!!! WOW!!!! :) This is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my boyfriend's:
    Vata: 12
    Pitta: 35
    Kapha: 25

    We both found it very interesting that we're opposites but we both have the same Kapha score. Maybe opposites DO attract in a weird way!

    ReplyDelete