Friday, July 15, 2011

Watermelon Smoothies and Other Delicious Things

Well, for some amazingly wonderful reason, Beau's lovely sister... AKA my sister-in-law... decided to come over yesterday to make us dinner. Obviously I am not going to object. She made a yummy meal of mushroom rice with a shrimp, hummus, bell pepper, and spinach pita. It was scrumptious. She also brought a watermelon for us to munch on for dessert. We were too stuffed, however, to break into it so we saved it for later... which brings me to this post.


With an entire watermelon to eat between two people I wanted to get creative in how we would eat it and not waste it... because... honestly... sometimes we do that... 
So, tonight after our rice and steamed veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots) dinner I cut up the watermelon, threw it in the blender and made a few things to last us the week. Waste not, want not... that is becoming our motto... among other things.
I knew we wanted smoothies, so I took out the ice trays and set them on the table - then I noticed that one of the ice trays was almost empty (two cubes left)... which led me to watermelon ice cubes for our water during the week - yummy and refreshing!
Then I realized there was a lot of melon when you pureed it... so I poured some into a recycled juice jar we had on hand and put it in the fridge... watermelon juice... just add some water to cut the sweetness and you have yummy water throughout the day!
Lastly, I added the ice, blended, and made the smoothies for us to drink as dessert.
Who says eating healthy has to be gross? I'd say we spoiled ourselves!


Have a Watermelon Kind of Weekend,
~Birdie

1 comment: