Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Spirit of Yoga

Many of my friends on FB know that I have recently began my Yoga Teacher Training (YTT) program with my school, SWIHA. I chose to start this journey because I had a very basic understanding of how incredibly beneficial Yoga can be to the mind, body, and spirit. From previous practice I knew what it felt to be silent in my mind and living in the present moment instead of running through my daily To-Do list over and over again. As I had walked through the halls of SWIHA going from class to class I passed signs about SWIHA's Yoga program and always thought, "I would love to be a Yoga Teacher. I would just love it... if only..." At the time I was still in my Nutrition and Herbalism program so there really wasn't any room for a Yoga program. 


Father Time is tricky, bringing change with him and endless possibilities. In my case, with Beau being offered a full time instructor's position in Oregon and us moving at the end of the summer, I had to redirect my education path to an online curriculum through SWIHA (that my advisor so graciously helped navigate me through). I was sad to leave the herbalism program - the people and instructors were wonderful - but I knew that there were other options for me. I transferred into the Transformational Psychology program specializing in Nutrition and... Yoga! Amazingly, SWIHA offered a YTT intensive course over the summer - I signed up immediately. Fate, you sly dog! My YTT ends August 31st and we move September 1st. Beautiful how that works out, no?


At any rate, my YTT has begun and we are in full swing. I am learning Sanskrit, the language of Enlightenment. I am learning how to chant (how to discover my voice), and how to fold and utilize blankets in my practice. The other students are so kind and pleasant. The teachers are knowledgeable and approachable. We laugh and we sigh. We breathe deeply, together as one. We are taking this journey together, although we are experiencing different things. 


Our program is based out of the new Yoga location that just opened in May off of Southern and McClintock. Spirit of Yoga is just heavenly. Located in a park-like setting, the Yoga rooms look out through the huge trees, into the pond, at the waterfall, and rest on the fluttering wings of a duck. The pond is a mini-ecosystem filled with Koi fish, ducks, and turtles! Yes. Turtles. I love the turtles. I could spend the day meditating under one of the sprawling trees, if only I had the time. It is heaven, I tell you.


I know that my adventure with Yoga has just begun, but, already, I know that it will be fruitful. I will learn a thousand years worth of wisdom that will only continue to grow over time through  sharing this practice with others around me. This summer will be a blessing and I am so thankful to be in the moment of receiving it.


Namaste,
~Birdie
I am in love with this tree and its roots. They are so amazing. 















1 comment: