Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Garden Talk

I finally did it. After months and months of fantasizing and catalogue window shopping I finally ordered some heirloom seeds. They came about two months ago and sat in the closet in my gardening box for a little while. I had been taking an organic gardening class and was blessed with a calendar suited to Arizona's climate that explains what seeds can be planted when for vegetables and fruit. Jackpot!! After the class was complete and I had some time to myself one day I found myself digging through my gardening box in search of the seeds ready to be planted at the end of October, beginning of November. What I found in my stack of ordered seeds was that I could plant: Broccoli, radishes, carrots, garlic, beans, spinach, and red onions. So that is precisely what I did. on October 30th. Seventeen days later and I have the pictures that follow:
Ada sitting in the windowsill.



Aloe growing like crazy!
 
Beans and Basil

Broccoli





Sorry the Faeries missed you.
 
Faerie Garden Number Two.



The radishes and mint.

The red onions coming in.


The snapdragons I planted in June.


Snapdragons on their Gnome






Look closely and you'll see the carrot sprouts!
 

The spinach sprouts. YUM!





















I purchased my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and was very pleased with how much I got for how little I spent. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds fights to preserve seeds that are generations old, planted and harvested years before our grandparents were born. They also speak out against GMO foods which is a wonderful cause to be protesting. You can order directly from their website or in their catalogue - or even over the phone! It is a family run business that works to make every seed packet unique and every harvest bountiful. Check it out for yourself, I promise you'll be amazed! The seeds I purchased this go-round were:

Planted:
Cosmic Purple (Carrot)
Berlicum 2 (Carrot)
Red Creole (Onion)
Calabrese Green Sprouting (Broccoli)
Bloomsdale Long Standing (Spinach)
Scarlet Turnio White Tip (Radish)

Remaining Purchased:
Slo-bolt Cilantro
Feverfew
German Chamomile
Lemon Balm
Lavender
Tomato Cour di Bue (It's HUGE!)
Green Zebra (Tomato)
Tomato Nature's Riddle (Huge!)
Striped Roman (Tomato)
Tomato Flame or Hillbilly
Golden California Wonder (Bell Pepper)
Charleston Belle (Bell Pepper)
Emerald Giant (Bell Pepper)
Peppers Tabasco
Red Wonder Wild Strawberry
Lemongrass
Marketmore 76 (Cucumber)

I bought all of these seed packets for around $50 including shipping. They arrived in a timely manner and everything was accounted for. I am pretty excited. Not only are these seeds that have been around since the late 1800's, but I can also harvest the seeds (once I figure out how) from my "crops" and use them again next season. You can't get that kind of service with hybrid GMO junk!

I intend on buying more seeds and having a well rounded, plentiful garden eventually. The more I learn the more food we will produce! I am also on the hunt for heirloom flower seeds which I think I have found with Select Seeds. I can't wait to start shopping!

I will be sure to keep you abreast on any further developments.

Greetings from the Garden,
~Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment