Thursday, November 4, 2010

Make it Home



In my future I foresee a large plot of land with a modest little house in a cottage style, made of red brick, mortar, round and rectangle windows, deep cherry wood doors, stained glass accents, and cobble stone pathways leading about into the gardens. I see my house being surrounded by flower beds filled with blue bells, foxglove, amaranth, bells of Ireland, calendula, poppies, tulips, and so much more. The gardens in the distance will be sprouting new vegetables and fruit everyday, enough to feed my family of four and some left over to trade with the neighbors. The chickens will run freely about the place and the pigs will take care of the compost. Goats for milk and cheese and horses to work the fields. It's a very old timey future that I see for myself and family, but it is a future I look forward to everyday.

In the mean time I have my 600 square foot apartment and a 20x2' area to plant my sprawling garden. My Beau and I work toward our goals and future everyday in the daily grind of school and work- eager to get started and getting anxious that it hasn't started yet. I am learning though, over time, that no matter where you live or the type of setting your house is in you must make it home.


If you don't have a large back patio (as I don't) use your front door and the space around it to add potted plants of different types. Put a little table out front to start a small herb garden to use in your kitchen. If you can't do that, but your kitchen window, or any window for that matter, is exposed to sunshine sometime throughout the day put the herb box there and let it grow. Depending on your style, modern, antique, cottage, new age, or budgeted, there is always a way to design the interior of your home to your taste. Stop by a thrift shop or nursery, goodwill even works. You can find little treasures everywhere. If you are more into the brand new look I would sincerely suggest Ikea or even Overstock to get the bits of furniture you need and decor items.

A home is not a home based on the things you fill it with, but the energy and recognition of its occupants. To me, a home is warm and inviting, filled with busy and positive, light energy and noise. A home has a working kitchen with soup or stew on the stove and bread in the oven. The colors are light and natural, a blanket on the couch, and books on shelves. That's how I envision a home and I try to make it so in the small space I currently inhabit. Each person has their own vision of what that homey feeling is for them and I encourage all to build it, if need be, on a small scale compared to what you wish you had.
Currently there is a list of things I would like to do with my house, starting with little art projects with materials I can pick up at my local Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I am thinking about creating a few warming wreaths to put above my front door and in the kitchen using dried flowers, sticks, and ribbon. (It's a lot prettier than it sounds). Another task I'd like to venture into that a friend (Whitney) inspired is a stained glass mosaic of sorts to place in my garden. I may need her help to get me started.

All in all, what I'm trying to get at, is allow your dream home to be everything you want it to be and in the meantime turn the place you currently occupy- your transition home- into a sanctuary of its own, staying true to yourself and your lifestyle and allowing the creative energies to flow. The present is way too much fun to live in the future.

Sincerely,
~Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment