Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Good Luck Charm

* Today was a day to go down in the annals of antique shopping history. *

After the farmer's market this morning I was feeling particularly feisty and adventurous. Luckily, I wasn't alone and my friend, Cathy, came along for the ride. We started at a small thrift store that I had passed numerous times on my way to work and had always wanted to go into. Sadly, we found nothing of interest, although there were many things that caught our attention as awkward, unsettling, or absolutely amazing, but useless, so we left. We got into the car and started to drive. We had no particular intent or idea of where we were headed, but we talked and talked until we came to an area in Mesa where I knew there was an antique mall nearby. (Main Street and Power Road) I had never been in so it seemed like the perfect stop. On the drive I explained to Cathy the things I was starting to collect and what to keep an eye out for for me.

My list included:
Colored glass (tumblers, goblets, bowls, plates, vases, etc.)
dainty tea cups and saucers
china sets
silverware
salt and pepper shakers
vintage sewing patterns (particularly costume patterns for children set in the different eras of dress)
books written between 1880-1930
old photos - particularly children (because I feel they deserve a home)

So excited!
I will say it right here and right now: "Cathy is a lucky charm!" I have never, ever had such a successful bargain antique shopping experience until this day. Oh the things I found!!! Just inside the door was a booth with tea cups which was what drew our attention to begin with. Through closer inspection I found exactly what I was looking for - a china set with a natural themed pattern. It came with three tea cups, three coffee cups, 8 dinner plates, 7 bowls, 1 salad plate, 8 saucers, and 6 tea saucers. Not a complete set, but what do I care... it was only $35!!! They are beautiful and I intend to have a myriad of china sets anyway to make up our home so I have to say that this is a delightful beginning. I've been gushing about them since I found the set! While in this same booth, I found a lime green glass fruit juicer that made me giggle and was promptly set aside with the china set at the front desk.


Fresh Orange Juice Anyone?

Further down the aisles and deeper into our search I found a set of three horseshoes which, although I wasn't looking for them, I am really glad I found. They will make a perfect addition over our doors when we get a house. Horseshoes represent prosperity and to have the horseshoe facing upward is like that of a full cup of it! Pointing downward and it will all spill out, ut oh! $3 for the three horseshoes = steal! Walking further down the way we found some interesting pieces (a small bear head and ram's head, and colored glass pieces EVERYWHERE, but way too expensive), but nothing that stood out as 'must haves.' That is until we made it to a booth near the restrooms that had little baskets full of vintage sewing patterns (Score!). I searched through the patterns and found a few dresses for myself as well as some cute jumpers and blouses for little girls. The treasure in this batch was a costume packet with four different dresses ranging across the eras! Exactly what I was looking for!

My mom had one of these.
Continuing on I found bits and pieces of glassware that my mom had in our house when I was growing up: marble horse head bookends, a strawberry jar, crystal champagne flutes... I wanted to buy it all for the sake of my childhood, but realized I couldn't justify spending the money out of impulse and homesickness, so I kept walking.






Cathy and I met in an aisle midway in the store and acknowledged that we had seen what we needed to see and that it was most certainly time to get something to eat or else parish and so began our way back to the front doors. Walking past a low bench to the left of the aisle I noticed some beautifully colored navy blue goblets and checked the price, just for kicks. I was astonished to find that $17 took the lot of 8! Sold!! At this point I had to put my blinders on, otherwise we would still be there now, my paycheck gone, and my car loaded with goodies. I checked out at $93 with a few boxes full of treasures and a guilt-free happiness that consumed the rest of my day.

After a late lunch and dropping Cathy off at her house I am home and happy, pleased with my finds, but curious as to where I'm going to put them. Hmmmmm... let the organization begin!!!

May the Antiquing Gods be With You,
~Birdie


PS- These could be all yours for only $7.50 a piece! Hurry now before they're gone!

1 comment:

  1. Today was so much fun! I can't wait until our next adventure!

    ReplyDelete