Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cha-Cha-Changes...

Recently, my household has made an informed transition away from processed foods, fast foods, and mainstream farming. We shop at farmer's markets, eat at locally owned restaurants, and grow our own organic produce when we can. Our household has made this decision based on many facts that have come to light in recent years. Facts regarding GMO (Genetically Modified Foods), Monsanto, animal cruelty at commercial farms and slaughtering practices, and corruption within the ranks of the FDA and USDA. Just google any of these items and you will find numerous articles, videos, and books explaining how tainted our food market truly is on a commercial level. The consumer suffers. The farmers suffer. The Earth suffers. A movie worth watching, Food Inc., explains how the United States food economy has lost its way and is now in the hands of some very serious corporations. The documentary does a wonderful job informing the individual and covering as many sides to the story that the producers could. I sincerely recommend this movie to anyone, particularly people with families who are being raised in this broken environment. My other recommendation is for education on all spectrums. Take a nutrition course at your local community college. It is worth every penny and you learn a wealth of knowledge. Why there aren't teaching nutrition at basice education levels is beyond me, but I am truly happy that I am taking one now. My intention for this post is not to induce fear among the masses (all 1 of my followers), but to show how easy the transition is to make and to provide a segway from the garden to the kitchen. Recipes, canning information, preserves, and dehydration are all on the list of things to post about so keep an eye out- my next post is about my earthy, homemade garden vegetable soup!


Shop local. Eat local. Grow your own,
~Birdie

Click to find a Farmers Market near you!


No comments:

Post a Comment