Monday, December 13, 2010

Anemic Stockings

It struck me, a few weeks ago, that I really wanted to start making things from scratch- dresses, shirts, Christmas decorations, blankets, etc. With this came the notion that I could make our own Christmas Stockings which would be so much better than the store bought ones. I quickly put my head together with Whitney to try and figure out the best way to figure this out. To start, we had to buy fabric. That's the fun part! I found the perfect fabric for Beau- the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence (He is very patriotic) and a deep red fabric with off white stars on it. Perfect! I chose a dark green fabric with small white dots on it to pair with an off white fabric with a subtle gold floral pattern. To make the cuff I chose a scruffy, faux fur fabric that was an off white to give it that antique look - ye be warned... that fabric is the messiest fabric I have ever seen! (But worth it.) We opted to do a quilted look for the body of the stockings so we cut the fabric into square patches and alternated them.


I was lucky enough to get a sewing machine one year for Christmas and although I had used it once or twice then, it had been about two years since I had read the manual or played with the device. It was like a foreign object. Thankfully, Whitney had just gotten herself a sewing machine and was familiar with how it worked so she was able to guide me through. Eventually, we figured it out and were able to proceed.



Once we created our quilt pattern and sewed together the patches, we looked down at our mini-quilts and took a deep breath before taking the plunge and cutting out a stocking pattern. We were sure to cut the boots in opposite directions (this was done after much "Are you sure?" "Yes I am pretty sure it should go this way." "This way?" "I don't know!") We cut the furry liner and cuff in the shape of the boot and sewed that onto the back of the quilted piece. This way the furry part would be on the inside of the stocking- nice and cozy warm. The cuff was a tricky part and although I got it right on my stocking, Beau's did not fair as well. Whoops. We sewed the pieces together, furry sides out, and left the top of the stocking open.


As for that pesky, but all important cuff? Here is what you do- you cut a piece for the cuff long enough to wrap all the way around the mouth of the stocking. Line one end of the cuff piece up to a seam of the inside out stocking (furry side out). Be sure that the non-furry side of the cuff is on top- so that when you flip the stocking it looks right. It should look like the furry inside of the stocking with the rough part of the cuff on top- Start sewing and sew all the way around the stocking. When you get back to the beginning seam finish the cuff off, but leave some room to be able to sew the open part of the cuff together. Take the stocking and press the ends of the cuff together and sew it up (like to pieces of a quilt). You want the "inside out look" on the cuff's seam. When you flip the stocking outside-in you will be able to fold the cuff down and the seam will be hidden underneath while the fluffy part sits nicely on the soft patches side of the stocking. Decorate as you feel appropriate.


I have yet to decorate and personalize our stockings, but I am on the hunt for the perfect pieces. I want to make them look a little more rustic with big leather buttons and maybe some pieces of nature, leaves and such.

My Fabric

Beau's Fabric










Our Layouts

Sewn Together
Our Pattern





















Finished, anemic looking stockings!
 
Good luck on your own sewing adventures,

~Birdie

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for being so industrious and trying to bring a homey touch to Christmas. Your efforts look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I suppose it can only get better with time, right?! My dog certainly loves her stocking, so I think my mission was accomplished. :)

    ReplyDelete