Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Spirit


Our First Christmas Tree

I will admit, I think I may have lost a little bit of my inner child when it comes to Christmas. I have been a little Scroogish in the last few years, unable to really jump into the Christmas Spirit like I used to be able to. This year it was proving just as much a challenge as the last, except with the lovely challenge of 80 degree weather. Now, I can't speak for you, but my idea of Christmas is chilly weather, hot cocoa, layering, the desire to feel warm, and praying for snow. NOT wearing t-shirts, shorts, laying out by the pool, with a guarantee that there will be no snow. The second hard part about Christmas is the fact that I'm not able to spend it with my family, and haven't for about 5 years now. It is hard to get into the Christmas Spirit when you have zero decorations and to make matters even more difficult- your spouse is a Scrooge all his own. OY! We have some work ahead of us!







Santa


I was determined that this year was going to be different, and, thankfully, it is slowly becoming so. We bought a real Christmas tree this year, a tree from a tree farm from my hometown no less, and went to the store to buy decorations. Neither of us having an ornament to our names, we had to start from scratch. We bought your basic bulbs, a string of color lights, and a string of white lights. Beau picked an Angel for the tree topper and we agreed to continue on the family tradition my dad and step-mom had started with my brothers and me. For 11 years my brothers and I would wait for Christmas, knowing the presents to come would be plenty and wonderful. Christmas Eve was our teaser. My dad and step-mom allowed us to open two presents on Christmas Eve, of their choosing. Those two presents, without fail, would always be a pair of new pajamas and a new Christmas ornament to mark the year's events for each individual. One year it was a clay molded child on a snowboard, another year was a little black bear named "Honey" (after my favorite beanie baby). Beau and I agreed to begin the hunt for a Christmas ornament for the other as a Christmas Eve gift to each other. This year we don't plan on gifting anything to one another as we have a joint venture we are focusing our money to at the moment that will, hopefully, be a wonderful Christmas present to us both... so the Christmas ornaments will be a nice treat. I also agreed with him that we would stuff each other's stockings that I had made (see previous blog post). While at the store I also picked up some wreaths, ribbon, and a Santa Claus (since we have NONE). I figure, one year at a time, we will be able to pick up enough decorations to bring the house together in a festive representation of our spirits... that are slowly picking up.


 

















For those of you out there that frown upon the felling of a tree for the sake of Christmas decoration, let me put forth my argument: These trees found on tree lots and on tree farms are grown for this specific reason. Our tree is seven years old (I counted the rings). Our tree was planted by a farmer with the intention that someday it would be cut down and placed into someone's home. These trees are not taken from the forest. By purchasing this tree I have not only made my house smell delicious and look beautiful, but I have also supported a local farmer (local to my hometown anyway) allowing him to continue to provide for his family and thus their traditions can live on. I rest my case.

We came home with our decorations and set about the tree - putting each bulb on to the tune of Nat King Cole's Christmas Hits. Our tree was perfect for us. Not too big, not too cluttered, just right. I put some ribbon bows on the wreaths and hung them on the wall, set Santa out on the record player near the tree, and lighted some festive smelling candles to finish the look. Overall, I think it turned out pretty great! Having the look certainly helps get us in the spirit of the holiday.


Mine, Beau's, Dad's










More good news to help, my dad will be flying in on Christmas Eve to spend the weekend with us. I haven't spent Christmas with my dad since I was 15, so this is a big deal for us both. Having him here will definitely help my spirit jump through the roof. Next year Beau and I have decided that we would spend a good week or so in the NorthWest to visit with family and spend Christmas with them. I'm very excited for next year. I was able to make a stocking for my dad for the occasion. Santa needs to be able to find him while he is away from home. Beau will be cooking is famous home made pancakes for Christmas breakfast. It should be a treat.

I bought some Apple Cider to warm up and sip on, yum yum! Now if only we could work on that snow! I think Phoenix would go into a state of shock if it snowed on Christmas day here. I've seen their driving in the rain- that isn't pretty. Snow would be a disaster!

Things I need to think about:
  • What am I going to cook for dinner?
  • What kind of ornament should I get Beau?
  • I need to get stocking stuffers (Cracker Barrel Store anyone? yes!)
  • I need wrapping paper.
  • What am I going to cook for dinner?!
My Music Choices:



Frank Sinatra pops in too!



Bah-hum-bu... I mean... Merry Christmas!
~Birdie


No comments:

Post a Comment